the new oslo school of architecture is based in an old building from 1938 located in oslo's eastern area
on the akerselva river. the new school aims to complement the conservative appearance of the existing
building, leaving the block open to the river. an access court was created by cutting out a portion of the
first floor slab. this marks the entrance to the school and fills the ground floor with more natural light.
the ground floor also holds the cafeteria, auditorium, exhibition spaces, workshops and the library.
the classrooms and design studios are on the first floor overlooking the open interior courtyard, while
administration and offices are on the second floor and a garden is on the rooftop. the addition aims to
keep the workshop character of the existing building. the concrete structure was exposed and many
materials were left unfinished.
photography by nils petter dale