SBG architetti finalizes the restoration of baranzate’s glass church in italy
all images by marco introini / courtesy of SBG architetti and casalgrande padana
completed in 1958 by by angelo mangiarotti, bruno morassutti and aldo favini, ‘chiesa di nostra signora della misericordia’ (our lady of mercy church) has long been considered a small masterpiece of modern italian architecture. located in baranzate, a town north-west of milan, the building features a distinctive glazed exterior, and is characterized by its typology pioneering use of cement and steel.
the church has long been considered a masterpiece of modern italian architecture
plans were drawn up by original architect bruno morassutti to renovate the building in 2003, after it was clear that church was in need of restoration. in 2008, at the age of 88, morassutti passed away and the project was continued by his collaborator giulio barazzetta of SBG architetti.
the restoration took over ten years to complete
remarkably, for a relatively small structure, the restoration took over ten years to complete, with the original building meticulously analyzed with scientific attention to detail. material specialists casalgrande padana played an important role in the process, supplying a number of ceramic products — including 1,000 square meters of porcelain stoneware used for the church’s floor.
casalgrande padana supplied 1,000 square meters of porcelain stoneware for the church’s floor
in order to strictly adhere to the original design, the tiles were produced according to the original 14 x 28 centimeter format, used by the architects in 1958. the make-up of the tiles was specially formulated to faithfully recreate the color of the original flooring, with particular attention paid to the reproduction of the surface finish, both in terms of grain and reflectance.
the building is characterized by its pioneering use of cement and steel
the floor tiles were produced according to the original 14 x 28 cm format
the original structure was completed in 1958
the building features a distinctive glazed façade
the glowing church illuminated from within