International Design Competition
DESIGNBOOM, in collaboration with DEUTSCHE BANK, presents the Future Banking International Design Competition, seeking smart ideas, applications, gadgets, products or services provided by the bank that aim to support and enhance customers' experience in relation to the branch experience or their digital day-to-day and life planning bank transactions; or that surprise and inspire them in a positive manner.
Participation is open to applicants from every country in the world - from professionals, students, to design-enthusiasts. Registration is free.
01 - Future Banking
As part of the growing digitization in all areas of life, the expectations and preferences of customers have changed significantly. The physical world of retail banking and the digital world of the Internet are increasingly merging. At the same time, the way in which information and advice is given to banking customers is also changing. Customers now look for flexible, integrated and dynamic solutions for their financial needs.
In response to these digital challenges, we want to meet the high demands of our customers with personalized, confidential and high-quality advice at any time or place by offering them exclusive products and services. We want to optimize our current online and branch-based services for the digital age and provide flexible, dynamic and intelligent services anywhere and at almost any time.
The focus of our activities is on customer service rather than processes or technologies.
02 - Competition Brief
The task is to develop smart ideas/applications/gadgets/offerings or services provided by a bank that support customers and enhance their branch experience or digital day-to-day and life planning or that surprise and inspire them in a positive manner.
We believe that:
− Banks need to be relevant for their clients and delight them by taking care of their financial & non-financial needs in daily life
− Simplification, convenience (“anytime, anywhere, anyhow” but in a non-intrusive way) and anticipating client needs will become key differentiators
− Advice becomes even more important in the digital age, can go even beyond financial advice and does not have to be in person (e.g. peer-to-peer)
As a result, customers should be offered an innovative financial service that adds genuine value to their day-to-day life.
03 - Prizes / Benefits
1st prize € 10.000 euro
2nd prize € 5.000 euro
3rd prize € 3.000 euro
Selected ideas will be exhibited at an innovation fair in Berlin (space for around 10-15 ideas: 500 m²).
And as always, DESIGNBOOM will publish a report on the finalists and winners.
04 - Judges
Katharina Berger - Deutsche Bank, Head of Design Thinking
Nadin Chucher - Deutsche Bank, Director Q110 (Die Deutsche Bank der Zukunft)
Michael Tirpitz - Deutsche Bank, Director Marketing
Nikolaos Alexopoulos - Deutsche Bank, Project Manager Branch Design
Massimo Mini - CEO of Designboom
Stefan Diez - Stefan Diez Office, Industrial Designer
Emmanuelle Moureaux - Emmanuelle Moureaux Architecture + Design, Architect
Daan Roosegaarde - Studio Roosegaarde, Interactive Artist
05 - Judging Criteria
Judging will be based on the entry's depth and understanding of the competition's theme 'Future Banking'.
The shortlist and prize winner will be selected on the basis of:
1. Innovative power: How new is the idea compared with products and services offered on the market by competitors and companies in other sectors? How is the originality and uniqueness of solution regarding the theme?
2. Customer impact: How much added value is created for customers? How many customers does the idea target? What is the potential level of enthusiasm for the project?
3. Positioning power: What impact will the measure have on the positioning of DEUTSCHE BANK (leadership/advice)?
4. Executable design: How is the potential to use the idea as an actual executable design?
06 - Submit your entry / entries
You will be asked to confirm your agreement of the rules as part of your entry. Entries submitted in other formats or with technical specifics other than those permitted will not be considered.
Registration is now open. Teams should register under one name only. When submitting works, you should add all members' names.
There is no limit to the number of entries that one person can submit.
If you are interested in entering more than one work, please submit each one separately.
Videos, images and text must be submitted in digital format.
Entries will NOT be accepted via physical delivery.
The core of your entry should be submitted as:
1. A maximum of 6 visuals (either single or composition images) submitted with captions:
- images should be 818 pixels wide
- please upload the following file formats only: .gif, or .jpeg
- (72 dpi) max 200 kb each file
- RGB color mode
2. A maximum of two (2) videos submitted including descriptions (also possible as part of an interview).
- Please use Vimeo or YouTube and include the URL(s) with your submission.
The entry submitted should be a low-res version of your original work.
Please keep the original high-resolution image(s) and video work(s) [DIN A0 – max. 4 panels; video in full HD].
These will be requested only if your work is shortlisted, for publication and exhibition purposes.
Winning projects may be exhibited at a DEUTSCHE BANK innovation fair.
3. A brief 200-word (maximum) explanation / description of your design.
Please read the Official Rules carefully. Below is only a short topic excerpt, in which we remind you that:
- the work may not use any watermarks or artist signatures;
- submitted Work must be original work by the applicant himself/herself. Except for materials that are in the public domain, each submission, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material created by the Entrant, or for which Entrant has all rights required to comply with these Official Rules;
- the Work must not be offensive, defamatory, harmful, vulgar, excessively violent, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable; It is important that you keep your design(s) confidential until the results of the competition are published. Until the winners of the Deutsche Bank - Future Banking International Design Competition are announced, Entrants may not submit their Deutsche Bank- Future Banking Design Competition Entry Work in any other Design Contest (not affiliated with Deutsche Bank AG), and may not disclose the submitted Work to any third party. (Please note the exception: Entrants may submit the same Work in exclusive domestic Design Contests hosted by Deutsche Bank AG.) In the case that the Work has been created before the competition and has been made public, the entrant must include this information in the description of the Work as part of their submission.
- Until the finalists of the DEUTSCHE BANK - Future Banking competition are announced, Entrants may not submit their DEUTSCHE BANK - Future Banking competition Entry Work in any other Design Contest (not affiliated with DEUTSCHE BANK), and may not disclose the submitted Work to any third party.
With regard to the submitted Work, DEUTSCHE BANK shall assume no responsibility whatsoever.
07 - Deadline for Submission of Entries
Submissions must be received by 23:59 (GMT), August 15th, 2014.
08 - Announcement of the results
The prize winner will be chosen on / or around September 1st, 2014, and notified by e-mail (unless the deadline is extended). The prize winner will be announced and published on designboom.com and DEUTSCHE BANK's official website.
Selected ideas will be exhibited at an innovation fair in Berlin (space for around 10-15 ideas: 500 m²).
For competitive reasons, DEUTSCHE BANK reserves the right not to publish or to determine the timing for the publication itself. Entrants are always required to coordinate each publication (affiliated with Deutsche Bank AG) with the sponsor.
Entrant will not disclose, nor will it permit any third party to disclose, the identity of DB or any DB Group Member as a customer of Entrant without the prior written consent of DB (acting in its absolute discretion).
Entrant will not refer to itself as a supplier of a DB Group Member in the context of its recruitment of staff or its pitching for new client business without obtaining the prior consent of DB.
Entrant will not use any DB Group Member trade mark, trade name, device, symbol or any abbreviation, contraction or simulation unless expressly authorised to do so in the context of a Service Description.
Entrants will not represent, directly or indirectly, that any product or service provided by Entrant has been approved or endorsed by DB.
09 - Intellectual Property Rights
All Works submitted will remain the exclusive property of the entrant.
by submitting Work(s) to the competition, the entrant agrees to provide DEUTSCHE BANK with the right of first refusal to the exclusive use of the Work for commercial purposes. this option is valid for 6-months after the end of the competition. In the case that DEUTSCHE BANK exercises the option to use the rights for commercial use (including production) on an exclusive basis and for an unlimited period, DEUTSCHE BANK will make a private agreement with the Entrant for the transfer of intellectual property rights.
DESIGNBOOM and DEUTSCHE BANK will have the right to use all of the Works submitted as part of the competition, and all images and video depicted therein, in any promotion or for any non-commercial purpose. By submitting a Work, the Entrant grants the Sponsor and the Producer the non-exclusive, unlimited, royalty-free, rights to publish in all media now known or hereafter discovered, and publicly display all Work for an unlimited period, and worldwide.
The right of use extends to all Deutsche Bank group affiliates and includes all currently known and future methods of use and media.
All Entrants authorize DESIGNBOOM and DEUTSCHE BANK to publish and exhibit all the designs (including project data submitted, and any visuals and video) - waiving compensation - at exhibitions and events and/or use them in any publications and communications that DESIGNBOOM and DEUTSCHE BANK may deem suitable and/or necessary.
DEUTSCHE BANK will have the right to apply minor amendments without damaging the integrity of the artwork - e.g. adding the DEUTSCHE BANK logo and text, reframing, translating, changing colors, cutting the background or parts of it, slightly editing the video etc…
In case DESIGNBOOM and DEUTSCHE BANK want to bring major changes to the submitted artwork for publication, DESIGNBOOM and DEUTSCHE BANK will contact the designer(s) and inform him/her about the use to obtain the designer(s)'s consent.
10 - Please read the Official Rules
11 - Questions?
Inquiries should be sent to: <contact(at)designboom.com>.
In the subject line, please make sure to write: 'DEUTSCHE BANK - Future Banking' (English text only)