POPULAR TODAY DESIGN

farkas + csortan recycle bicycle chains for minimalist key holders
original content
jun 08, 2014
farkas + csortan recycle bicycle chains for minimalist key holders



designers construct minimalist key holder out of bicycle chain
all images courtesy of daniel farksas and beata csortan

 

 

 

constructed from a single bicycle chain, daniel farksas and beata csortan‘s ‘TIK’ is a lightweight, minimalist key holder that can easily be carried in your pocket or wallet. the patent-pending design integrates stripped-down keys into one lean unit, reducing the amount of weight a person carries in their pocket by 40% when compared to the same set of keys with a standard keyring. this not only keeps their original function, but also enhances it by providing a larger surface area to grip, creating greater leverage for every individual key. due to the fact that bicycles must withstand a large amount of force as they rotate with a rider’s pedals, the chains consist of durable chromium carbide-coated steel pins and cro-moly steel plates with the option of titan-nitride coating for a more scratch-resistant surface. the project is currently being funded on kickstarter here.

 


video courtesy of daniel farkas

farkas csortan recycle bicycle chains minimalist key holders
the chains are manufactured by industrial company, Yaban

farkas csortan recycle bicycle chains minimalist key holders
80% of the surface is as thin as possible, being no thicker than a key’s blade, while the remaining 20% is only 2mm thicker

farkas csortan recycle bicycle chains minimalist key holders
before and after

farkas csortan recycle bicycle chains minimalist key holders
recycled bicycle chain

farkas csortan recycle bicycle chains minimalist key holders
TIK allows users to minimize the surface area of their keys


the minimalist design provides more space for other every day items in your pocket


a 10 key TIK fits within the same dimensions of a single credit card


TIK minimizes cubic area occupied by a set of keys


chromium carbide-coated pins link the chain

farkas csortan recycle bicycle chains minimalist key holders
the whole unit becomes the key head, providing more leverage when turning


the keys are thin enough to fit in a wallet

 

 

designboom has received this project from our ‘DIY submissions‘ feature, where we welcome our readers to submit their own work for publication. see more project submissions from our readers here.

comments policy
LOG IN VIA
login with designboom
designboom's comment policy guidelines
generally speaking, if we publish something, it's because we're genuinely interested in the subject. we hope you'll share this interest and if you know even more about it, please share! our goal in the discussion threads is to have good conversation and we prefer constructive opinions. we and our readers have fun with entertaining ones. designboom welcomes alerts about typos, incorrect names, and the like.
the correction is at the discretion of the post editor and may not happen immediately.

what if you disagree with what we or another commenter has to say?
let's hear it! but please understand that offensive, inappropriate, or just plain annoying comments may be deleted or shortened.

- please do not make racist, sexist, anti-semitic, homophobic or otherwise offensive comments.
- please don't personally insult the writers or your fellow commenters.
- please avoid using offensive words, replacing a few letters with asterisks is not a valid workaround.
- please don't include your website or e-mail address in your comments for the purpose of self-promotion.
- please respect jury verdicts and do not discuss offensively on the competition results
(there is only one fist prize, and designboom usually asks renown professionals to help us to promote talent.
in addition to the awarded designs, we do feel that almost all deserve our attention, that is why we publish
the best 100-200 entries too.)

a link is allowed in comments as long as they add value in the form of information, images, humor, etc. (links to the front page of your personal blog or website are not okay). unwelcome links (to commercial products or services of others, offensive material etc. ) will be redacted. and, ... yes, spam gets banned. no, we do not post fake comments.

product library