'federal reserve bank building rehabilitation' by hennebery eddy architects
rehabilitated by portland-based hennebery eddy architects, the expansion of the original modernist 1950 federal reserve bank building
simultaneously compliments the best traits of simple forms, clean lines, limited materials, and restrained detail - while transforming
its fortress-like character into a much more open, transparent and dynamic force in downtown portland.
on the southeast elevation, a new enlarged 'front porch' and full height glass walls make a clear connection to the street corner and the
public park across the street. originally constructed next to an adjacent edifice, the west façade presented itself as a four-story blank wall
to SW 10th avenue and its busy sidewalks and streetcar line. the west wall takes on an asymmetrical composition (due to elevators, stairs,
and mechanical spaces) of stacked windows and a large glazed section. a new main entrance opens to a small landscaped area and connects
directly to the energy of SW 10th avenue. art glass covers the wall from sidewalk to entrance and activates what would have been a blank wall.
the graphic relates directly to the federal reserve’s purpose of dealing with currency - with an over-sized image of the corner of a dollar bill.
original building materials and forms are also repeated and reinterpreted in the new lobby with white marble and tapering/rounded
walls and ceilings. homage to one federal reserve bank responsibility – to shred worn currency – is literally reflected in the elevator cabs,
where shredded money is laminated between panels of glass. as the building's original architect, pietro belluschi, noted in his own
design approach: 'let us not try to maim and twist the body to fit the suit, let us build a new suit consistent with the body.'
dollar graphic glass
detail - shredded currency