OAKLEY Disruptive By Design
European Design Competition
Earlier this year we launched a European-wide competition to find the next wave of design #disruptors. Entrants were challenged to create an innovative design that would respond to or enhance elite sports performance in a new and radical way. This could be applied across product, technology, clothing or digital design.
From protective wear, to audio and visual enhancers, transportation to architecture, we were so impressed by the level of thought, attention to detail, and truly innovative and inspiring designs that we selected two winners from the hundreds of entries received.
While one embraced beautiful design to create something truly multifunctional and intelligent, the other used an experimentation of materials and technology to propose a new concept for experiencing sport. Both were well-thought out, considered designs that impressed the judges for their understanding and application of the Disruptive by Design brief.
The two winning #disruptors are:
Nacho Fernandez Bellette + Luis Enrique Muñoz Vargas
The Joy of Practice
Stefano Panterotto and Francesco Ludovico Bertin
Winner's prize includes:
- One week all expenses paid trip to California, USA
- Two-day workshop at the internationally renowned Art Center College of Design in Pasadena
- Lunch with Peter Yee and Brian Takumi of the Oakley design team with the opportunity to seek tips and advice
- Portfolio review with a senior member of the Oakley design team
- Exclusive tour of the One Icon facilities
- 3D printed prototype of the winning design
The jury was composed of:
Brian Takumi – Vice President of Brand Creative at Oakley
Peter Yee – Vice President of Design at Oakley
Birgit Lohmann - CEO / editor-in-chief at designboom
Organised by designboom, in collaboration with Oakley, Europe.