The purpose of the competition
The Festival of Wood invites open applications to the International Contest (Primal)Chair. The grand jury will select 3 authors or groups of authors who will be presented at the award ceremony during the Festival of Wood 2021.
Participation in the contest is open to all designers, students and authors worldwide and above 18 years.
When thinking about Kočevsko a picture of magnificent forest landscape with intact nature and diverse animal world with bears, wolves and lynxes emerges in one’s mind. But Kočevsko has another special secret hiding in endless forests as a precious pearl. These are silent in secret remnants of primeval nature in Europe, in fact the few rare virgin forests in Europe. Slovenia has 14 virgin forests, 6 of them are in the region Kočevsko on the surface of almost 219 ha. The largest is the virgin forest Krokar that was put on the UNESCO world heritage list in 2017.
The Festival of Wood invites open applications to the 7th International Industrial Design Contest of a wooden chair as a tribute to the primeval forests of Kočevska region.
By taking part in this design competition, you get a chance to materialise your design idea in the primeval forest – contemporary human relation. The aim is to create a simple, functional and ergonomically designed chair, which will, in addition to its primary function, raise awareness of the user (contemporary person) about the importance of coexistence between man and nature.
First award: Money prize 1000 eur (pre-tax) prototype production + free board costs at the Bearlog hostel during the Festival of wood 2021 (4 nights) + guided tour to the brink of the virgin forest of Kočevsko+certificat.
Second and Third award:
- prototype production
Call for entries: 7th April 2021
Deadline for entries: 1st September 2021
Selection of winners by the grand jury: 11th September 2021
Award ceremony: Festival of Wood 2021, 7th October 2021, Kočevje
The Contest is invited by
Festival lesa, z.o.o., so.p.
Regional Institute for Tourism Kočevsko, Municipality of Kočevje, Kočevski les Timber Management of Municipality owned forests, Gimnazija in Srednja šola Kočevje,
Business incubator Kočevje
The entries will be evaluated according to the following 4 aspects:
1. design aspect; (innovativeness, functionality, aesthetics, feasibility
2. material selection; taking into account the use of wood as a primary material
3. marketing stance; usefulness and market applicability
4. presentation; clear and high-quality presentation of entry presentation)
Every member of the grand jury will evaluate each entry according to one of the five aspects by the individual judging criteria. Jury’s decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
The Grand Jury members
• Prof. Janez Suhadolc, architect, retired professor at the Faculty for architecture in Ljubljana,
• Doc. Mojca Perše, professor at the Faculty for design in Trzin (Ljubljana),
• Natalija Lapajne, museum counsellor, The Museum for Architecture and Design,
• Rok Kuhar, architect and industrial designer, assistent professor at the Academy for arts and design in Ljubljana,
• Albin Škalič, ing.les. direktor Murales
• Andrej Palman, expert associate at the woodwork workshop in Business incubator Kočevje.