C A L L – F O R – E N T R I E S designboom in collaboration with LEXUS
LEXUS created the LEXUS DESIGN AWARD, an international design competition, to help nurture next generation innovators who could produce ‘DESIGN’ that enriches our world. the award looks for entries from around the world and begins calling for entries for the first competition on october 30 (tuesday), 2012.
— 01-Introduction to the LEXUS DESIGN AWARD
LEXUS was launched in the United States in 1989 as a premium car brand from Japan. As a truly global premium car brand with the vision of Progressive Luxury, LEXUS has been pursuing and presenting different values from those of conventional luxury cars. We have been striving not only to create a more luxurious experience through automobiles, but also to help in solving many issues that have come along the way. LEXUS thinks that ‘DESIGN’ is a process in problem solving and a solution to shape a better society and future.
Lexus is announcing the creation of the LEXUS DESIGN AWARD to nurture and support future creators who can enrich the world. Unlike most awards, the goal is not winning the award. By providing the opportunity to embody unique ideas, create and exhibit prototypes through sessions with world-famous designers as mentors, we hope to help next generation talent flourish.
We welcome designers from all fields: architecture, product design, fashion. We’re looking for “DESIGN” that goes beyond the mastery of shape, form and function, and becomes a process and solution to overcome challenges.
— 02 – Theme and Overview of the Award
The theme for the LEXUS DESIGN AWARD 2012 is ‘Motion.’
Our daily lives are continuously filled with motion. The motion of things, the motion of people. Moving people’s hearts. Shifting consciousness. Moving information, society and time. Leaving lingering effects. Triggering chain reactions. It’s a theme that Lexus will keep working on. How to define “Motion” is up to you. We’re looking for “DESIGN” that responds to various issues in daily life in relation to “Motion” and provides solutions.
The application period of the first LEXUS DESIGN AWARD is from October 30 (Tuesday), 2012 to December 31 (Monday), 2012.
Ten entries will receive awards.
The creators of two entries selected among the ten award winners will produce prototypes over a period of about two months. The two prototypes, and panel displays for the other eight-awarded designs, will be exhibited in the Lexus space in the Milan Design Week held in April 2013.
During the two-month production period of the prototypes, the creators of two selected entries will each be given the opportunity to have sessions with a world-famous designer acting as a “mentor.” Sam Hecht (England) and Junya Ishigami (Japan) will serve as the mentors for the first LEXUS DESIGN AWARD.
— 03 – Prize/Benefits
• Ten entries will win awards. The creators of the awarded works will be invited to the Milan Design Week*. • Two entries from the ten winners will receive up to five million yen each to cover prototype production costs. The designers of the two entries will create prototypes of their award winning designs between February and March 2013 through sessions with two assigned mentors. • The two prototypes and also panel displays of the other eight winning entries will be exhibited in the Lexus space at the Milan Design Week in 2013.
*In the case of individual applicants, the winner will be invited. In the case of group applicants, up to two people will be invited.
— 04 – Judges
1 Paola Antonelli, Curator 2 Aric Chen, Curator 3 Jaime Hayon, Artist/Designer 4 Toyo Ito, Architect 5 Birgit Lohmann, Chief editor of designboom 6 Kiyotaka Ise, President of Lexus International
The judges will select 10 winners from the entries.
— 05- Judging Criteria
Depth of understanding of the ideas of Lexus “DESIGN.” Uniqueness in interpretation of those ideas. Uniqueness of perspective and originality of solution regarding the theme.
*The prototypes will be installed and operated by the third party. As such, we will need to select designs for the prototypes that are easy to set up and display. Please understand that even if an awardee is highly evaluated that awardee may not be selected for creation of a prototype if it does not meet these conditions.
— 06 – registration deadline application registration will be accepted by 23:59(GMT), December 31, 2012.
— 07 – registration registrations are open now, please fill in the form. teams register with one name only. when submitting works you should add all team member’s names.
— 08 – submit your entry / entries
if you are entering more than one work, please submit each work separately
you will be requested to supply:
1. how many image files for upload? up to 8 images can be uploaded (either single or composition images) image size should be: 818 pixels wide please upload the following file formats only: - .gif, or .jpeg, - (72 dpi) max 200 kb each file, - RGB color mode.
video files: you are allowed to add 2 video (you will be request to embed the code of your video) the entry submitted is a low-res version of your original work. these original high-resolution image(s) will be requested only if your work is shortlisted..
2. explanation please provide a brief description of your design. jury decisions will be based on the core design criteria. you should consider a broad spectrum of issues that demonstrate and showcase the ways in which design can enrich people’s lives.
3. you will be requested to accept the competition guidelines submitted work must be original work by the applicant himself/herself that has never been released either in japan or overseas. until the results of this award are announced, applicants are prohibited from entering the work in any other contests, or for publication elsewhere. entries that have violated the above conditions, or entries to which any of the following applies, shall be excluded from the list of entries to be screened. furthermore, even after the award winners have been announced, the award may be cancelled if it is revealed that any of the following applies to the winning work.
– works that have been entered in other contests, etc., in the past - works that are offensive to public order and morals, or works whose aim is defamation or profit-making -works that infringe the intellectual property rights or right to confidentiality of a third party (including cases where the infringement had occurred after the application was made).
even if a third party claims infringement of rights or demands compensation for damage, etc., with regard to the submitted work, Toyota Motor Corporation shall assume no responsibility whatsoever.
— 09 – deadline for submission of entries works can be submitted by 23:59(GMT), December 31, 2012.
— 10 – announcement of the results shortlisted 10 works will be announced in February 2013 on designboom or LEXUS official website
— 11 – intellectual property rights any moral and paternity right regarding the project sent in for submission is the designer’s property.
however, by submitting a design in the competition, the participant agrees to provide Toyota Motor Corporation with the right of first refusal to the exclusive use of the design. this option is valid for 12 months after the end of the competition. in the event that Toyota Motor Corporation exercises the option to use the rights for production on an exclusive basis and sine die (without time limitations), Toyota Motor Corporation will make a private agreement with the participant for the transfer of intellectual property rights.
by participating in the competition, 10 selected participants authorise designboom, Toyota Motor Corporation to publish and exhibit all the designs (including project data submitted and prototype) – waiving compensation – at exhibitions and events and/or to use them in any publications and communications that designboom, Toyota Motor Corporation may deem suitable and/or necessary. in any cases, each time the creation is used, they must refer to the competition they originate from. the creators of the prototypes displayed in the exhibition agree: that they are participating in the production process in which they will receive advice and inspiration from “mentors” to finish the creation of prototypes, and that Lexus will disclose the name of the mentors who worked with them and will disclose information about the production process in the form of text, pictures, film etc when making public announcements about the work.
designboom, Toyota Motor Corporation will credit the designer’s name to properly attribute authorship of work to promote the author adequately. Toyota Motor Corporation will have the right to apply minor change amendments without damaging the integrity of the artwork – e.g. add the LEXUS logo and text, reframing, translation, changing colors, cutting the background or parts of it, etc.
in case designboom, Toyota Motor Corporation want to bring major changes to the submitted artwork for publication, designboom, Toyota Motor Corporation will contact the designer and inform him/her about the use to obtain the designer’s consent.
Toyota Motor Corporation will make every effort to carefully handle all design materials submitted by entrants but will not be responsible for any accidental or unintentional damage or loss to such data. If we are unable to contact entrants who have been selected for an award due to incorrect contact information or moving, such awards may be cancelled. If award winners are minors, we will require written consent from their parents. Award winners are not permitted to transfer the award prize, cash or any related privileges to a third party.
— 12 – questions?
inquiries to [email protected] make sure to write ‘LEXUS DESIGN AWARD’ in the subject line. (english text only)
— 13 – info on LEXUS
LEXUS DESIGN AWARD (38)
a diverse digital database that acts as a valuable guide in gaining insight and information about a product directly from the manufacturer, and serves as a rich reference point in developing a project or scheme.