This 3D-printed street furniture becomes a 'second skin' for New Jersey barriers

This 3D-printed street furniture becomes a 'second skin' for New Jersey barriers

R3direct & giulia del grande introduce ‘U.S.E.’ in lucca, italy

 

‘U.S.E. – urban safety everyday’ is an experimental furniture piece placed in the italian town of lucca on march 2022. conceptualized by architect giulia del grande and produced by studio R3direct, the 3D-printed design is made almost entirely from recycled plastic. it serves as a sort of ‘second skin’ for new jersey barriers, transforming them into pleasant and user-friendly objects in the city. ultimately, the green installation is envisioned to become part of everyday life in the town of lucca while promoting eco-conscious design. 

u s e urban safety everyday is the first public 3d printed furniture made with plastic from the recycling of polylaminate food cartons 1
all images via R3direct

 

 

converting anti-terrorism barriers into pleasant urban objects 

 

using innovative 3D and parametric technologies, R3direct (see more here) is dedicated to printing durable and customizable objects made from post-consumer plastics. the studio worked closely with giulia del grande to help develop her masters degree research, which focused on exploring the disconnection between fear and real risk in cities. the study pushed her to ideate a design suited for an urban context and one that holds a strong psychological foundation. lucca’s anti-terrorism ‘new jersey’ barriers caught her eye as a starting point for experimentation. so, together with R3direct’s lead designer, stefano giovacchini, she began developing the concept behind the ‘U.S.E.’ furniture. 

u s e urban safety everyday is the first public 3d printed furniture made with plastic from the recycling of polylaminate food cartons 2
the U.S.E. is suited for everyday civic use

 

 

shaping the furniture out of recycled TetraPak® cartons 

 

the plastic incorporated in the furniture comes from the re-use of about 3,300 TetraPak® cartons. the recycling and processing was carried out by lucart, a leader in the production of paper and tissue, at its manufacturing plant in lucca. the final material composition of ‘U.S.E’ features about 75% of FiberPack®, commonly found in toilet paper, napkins, kitchen towels, and the like. the remaining 25% is made of polyethylene and aluminum, two components used as raw, secondary materials to produce the module.

u s e urban safety everyday is the first public 3d printed furniture made with plastic from the recycling of polylaminate food cartons 12
the design turns a new jersey barrier into a pleasant urban furniture

 

 

after 3D printing the design, R3direct invited artisans to refine each part of the barrier cover, giving it a friendlier appearance that goes with the town’s unique architectural setting. the first prototype was installed in march 2022 and includes a Q.R. code for passersby to scan and learn about the ‘journey’ of the material used to create the furniture.

This 3D-printed street furniture becomes a 'second skin' for New Jersey barriers
‘U.S.E.’ nicely goes with lucca’s unique architectural setting

u s e urban safety everyday is the first public 3d printed furniture made with plastic from the recycling of polylaminate food cartons 6
the lucca city hall commissioned the first prototype in march 2022

u-s-e-urban-furniture-designboom-full

 

 

 

1/5
This 3D-printed street furniture becomes a ‘second skin’ for New Jersey barriers
 
This 3D-printed street furniture becomes a ‘second skin’ for New Jersey barriers
 
This 3D-printed street furniture becomes a ‘second skin’ for New Jersey barriers
 
This 3D-printed street furniture becomes a ‘second skin’ for New Jersey barriers
 
This 3D-printed street furniture becomes a ‘second skin’ for New Jersey barriers
 

project info:

 

name: U.S.E. – urban safety everyday

location: lucca, italy

type: urban furniture 
concept: giulia del grande
design: stefano giovacchini (R3direct)
material: recycled TetraPak® cartons

composition: 75% FiberPak®, 25% aluminum + polyethylene

 

 

designboom has received this project from our DIY submissions feature, where we welcome our readers to submit their own work for publication. see more project submissions from our readers here.

 

edited by: lea zeitoun | designboom

PRODUCT LIBRARY

a diverse digital database that acts as a valuable guide in gaining insight and information about a product directly from the manufacturer, and serves as a rich reference point in developing a project or scheme.

designboom will always be there for you

milan, new york, beijing, tokyo,  since 1999
X
5