IKEA rivals tesla with home solar panels and battery storage packs

IKEA rivals tesla with home solar panels and battery storage packs

IKEA have teamed up with solarcentury to offer homeowners a new solar battery storage solution, which rivals that of tesla‘s ‘powerwall‘. capable of working with existing panels or as part of a brand new combined system, the technology claims to cut electricity bills by up to 70%. with the home storage packs, users can stock the sun-sourced energy in their home and use the power on demand.


video courtesy of IKEA



at IKEA we’re always looking for ways to help customers take positive actions at home for both the environment and their wallets,’ says hege saebjornsen, country sustainability manager, IKEA UK & ireland. ‘we know that our customers want to live more sustainably and together with solarcentury we will help them to get more value from their solar panels and do just that. Wwith energy bills already going up 15% this year, there’s never been a better time for customers to take back control of their electricity bills and maximise their savings by switching to solar and solar storage.


we’re committed to helping homeowners reap the benefits of going solar and our business partnership with IKEA is a significant step forwards for the renewable energy industry,‘ states susannah wood, head of residential solar at solarcentury. ‘the cost of solar installations has dropped considerably in recent years and is in fact 100 times cheaper than it was 35 years ago. we believe IKEA and Ssolarcentury are bringing the most competitive package to the market yet so more people than ever before can profit financially and environmentally by producing their own energy.’

image courtesy of IKEA



IKEA’s solar battery storage solution is for sale in the UK, where typically, solar houses use 40% of their sun-sourced energy and send the remaining 60% back to the national grid. with the home battery packs though, users can stock their excess solar power for later use. this aims to double the solar usage to above 80%, meaning the average homeowner’s electricity is dramatically reduced, even with the initial set-up costs.

  • What an unexpected move – great!! These new concepts can only be put into reality by newcomers, because the old companies can’t turn around their course. And IKEA can reach a lot of customers. There are now at least 5 to 6 producers of home energy store concepts which WORK and people complaining about “the storage problem” should become less now.

    Dirk says:

have something to add? share your thoughts in our comments section below.
all comments are reviewed for the purposes of moderation before publishing.

comments policy
designboom's comment policy guidelines
generally speaking, if we publish something, it's because we're genuinely interested in the subject. we hope you'll share this interest and if you know even more about it, please share! our goal in the discussion threads is to have good conversation and we prefer constructive opinions. we and our readers have fun with entertaining ones. designboom welcomes alerts about typos, incorrect names, and the like.
the correction is at the discretion of the post editor and may not happen immediately.

what if you disagree with what we or another commenter has to say?
let's hear it! but please understand that offensive, inappropriate, or just plain annoying comments may be deleted or shortened.

- please do not make racist, sexist, anti-semitic, homophobic or otherwise offensive comments.
- please don't personally insult the writers or your fellow commenters.
- please avoid using offensive words, replacing a few letters with asterisks is not a valid workaround.
- please don't include your website or e-mail address in your comments for the purpose of self-promotion.
- please respect jury verdicts and do not discuss offensively on the competition results
(there is only one fist prize, and designboom usually asks renown professionals to help us to promote talent.
in addition to the awarded designs, we do feel that almost all deserve our attention, that is why we publish
the best 100-200 entries too.)

a link is allowed in comments as long as they add value in the form of information, images, humor, etc. (links to the front page of your personal blog or website are not okay). unwelcome links (to commercial products or services of others, offensive material etc. ) will be redacted. and, ... yes, spam gets banned. no, we do not post fake comments.


a diverse digital database that acts as a valuable guide in gaining insight and information about a product directly from the manufacturer, and serves as a rich reference point in developing a project or scheme.

technology news

keep up with our daily and weekly stories
502,528 subscribers
- see sample
- see sample