the future of genetic privacy: erase your DNA with invisible spray kit the future of genetic privacy: erase your DNA with invisible spray kit
may 04, 2014

the future of genetic privacy: erase your DNA with invisible spray kit

the future of genetic privacy: erase your DNA with heather dewey-hagborg’s invisible spray
image courtesy biogenfutures




in 2013, american artist heather dewey-hagborg created a series of 3D printed portrait sculptures from DNA collected in public places. from cigarette butts to hair samples, she used fingerprint and lipstick samples left-behind from un-suspecting strangers to recreate highly detailed facial figures. in 2014, dewey-hagborg takes her research one step further, with the aim to completely erase your identity by making it ‘invisible’. her new company biogenfutures, has announced a product that will make it nearly impossible for authorities to trace DNA.


‘invisible’ comes with two sprays, both of which can be combined to fully protect one’s genetic identity. the first spray, ‘erase’, is a cleaning agent that will destroy 99.5 % of left-behind materials, and the second, ‘replace,’ switches out the remaining 0.5 percent with DNA collected from other sources nearby. to learn more about the project, see here.



protecting genetic privacy with an ‘invisible erase and replace’ spray kit
video courtesy biogenfutures

    have something to add? share your thoughts in our comments section below.

    comments policy
    LOG IN
    designboom's comment policy guidelines
    generally speaking, if we publish something, it's because we're genuinely interested in the subject. we hope you'll share this interest and if you know even more about it, please share! our goal in the discussion threads is to have good conversation and we prefer constructive opinions. we and our readers have fun with entertaining ones. designboom welcomes alerts about typos, incorrect names, and the like.
    the correction is at the discretion of the post editor and may not happen immediately.

    what if you disagree with what we or another commenter has to say?
    let's hear it! but please understand that offensive, inappropriate, or just plain annoying comments may be deleted or shortened.

    - please do not make racist, sexist, anti-semitic, homophobic or otherwise offensive comments.
    - please don't personally insult the writers or your fellow commenters.
    - please avoid using offensive words, replacing a few letters with asterisks is not a valid workaround.
    - please don't include your website or e-mail address in your comments for the purpose of self-promotion.
    - please respect jury verdicts and do not discuss offensively on the competition results
    (there is only one fist prize, and designboom usually asks renown professionals to help us to promote talent.
    in addition to the awarded designs, we do feel that almost all deserve our attention, that is why we publish
    the best 100-200 entries too.)

    a link is allowed in comments as long as they add value in the form of information, images, humor, etc. (links to the front page of your personal blog or website are not okay). unwelcome links (to commercial products or services of others, offensive material etc. ) will be redacted. and, ... yes, spam gets banned. no, we do not post fake comments.


    a diverse digital database that acts as a valuable guide in gaining insight and information about a product directly from the manufacturer, and serves as a rich reference point in developing a project or scheme.

    technology news